Monday, August 9, 2010

The Day Has Arrived!

Well, today is my first "official" day of work in AISD. Now, for those of you who are teachers (or those who know me), you know that I have been back preparing my classroom for a few weeks already...as soon as my floors were waxed and dry!

I have mixed emotions, I must admit. I am extremely excited about getting back into the classroom, but I am worried about getting back into the juggling act of full time work, a home, and four kids (and a husband who travels a lot).

I know it is my passion, however. I am so fortunate to be doing exactly what I love to do. Many people have a hard time figuring that out.

You are probably starting to prepare yourself and your child(ren) for the return to school. It's never completely easy...there are nerves, adjustments to new schedules, and new personalities.

Think about buying (or just sending a favorite you already have) a special book to take to school that first day. Not for the teacher, but for them to read. Taking that out of their backpacks will give them a sense of security and pride. Especially the little ones...it's like a piece of you, and home, to take with them.

I am bringing a little book that I take with me every year. It's called "Selma." It is about a sheep who is asked several times if she could do anything in life, what would she do. She responds (basically) -- do a little grazing, sleep a little, walk in the meadow. And then at the end of the book we discover that is her day to day routine. So the message is CONTENTMENT. It always reminds me that I do LOVE my life, and I am doing what I love to do. I am blessed.

Anyway, that book always gives me courage amidst first day jitters...your child will find the same calm in their book.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment