Saturday, June 5, 2010

Better Late than Never

So today was one of preparation for me. Tuesday of this week I crazily decided to sign up for a triathalon (local) which takes place tomorrow.

Here's where I am going to use it as an analogy.

I haven't swam laps in a pool for over a year and a half. Before that, I was swimming regularly, 2-3 times a week for about an hour. My muscles knew what to do, it was easy. I also have a situation with my head. Well, I did. At 27 I had a brain tumor removed which was located above my cerebellum, which operates our balance. I have struggled with dizziness ever since, which is exacerbated when I turn my head (oh, like freestyle). So practicing helps my head get used to it so it doesn't bother me much.

Well, this week, when I had to get back in the pool asap, I did. And I paid for it.

My arm and leg muscles snapped right back into it...good muscle memory. My head did not. I had nausea for several hours after.

But what did I do -- Give up? No. I got back in the pool the next day, modified my stroke and paced myself and did it again. And it was better.

Remember, reading takes muscles -- exercise and practice will keep them in tune and toned. When your kids take a break, there may be some struggles getting back into it, but there will be parts of reading that snap right back into the grove.

Don't give up. Keep practicing.

I will let you know how I held up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment