Monday, July 12, 2010

An Essential School Supply

I know. You don't want to think about it yet. But I am.

In years past, I have made my kids in my classes personalized "book bags" that were fabric with a drawstring. I am not a good sewer (ask my husband - he'll tell you I can't sew a button on a shirt to save my life), but I love these bags, so I make them.

One year, a mom offered to make them, and that was a Godsend.

Why do I like them so much? Because the kids do. Suddenly books go from being thrown or crammed carelessly in the backpack to a treasure that is to be protected.

I get so sad when I see books hurt -- and it's usually not happening on purpose, it's just that those backpacks are stuffed to the brim!

I know some teachers have used ziploc bags, but I find those aren't big enough for picture books, and not as special.

There is something magical to having a separate bag just for your books. It makes them special.

This year, I am going to the nearest sports store to get my boys those drawstring bags you see swimmers use. They aren't completely waterproof, but they will keep the books protected. And I won't have to sew them.

Think about it for your own kids. You can personalize it with paint pens...believe me, they will start taking great care of those books!

No comments:

Post a Comment