Friday, August 12, 2011

What I am Going to Miss Most

Ok, besides having a leisurely coffee (my commuter mug is at the ready for Monday) in the morning, I am going to miss having time to read for me.

When school starts up, "me time" goes out the window. Juggling full time work, four boys and their activities, and a husband who travels...well, I am not as apt to pick up a book or the Kindle, obviously.

Don't get me wrong. I do read. A lot. But it is more useful reading -- professional books, newspaper, websites, and of course children's books -- but not novels.

But maybe that's ok. Maybe it makes me appreciate the summers and the opportunity to read for "me" all the more.

Remember, readers go through phases, and have to adjust based on need. Try as I may, it just doesn't work for me to read a novel during the school year. And I am at peace with that. I am not going to beat myself up about it.

Think of your kids too...what is their current phase? Do they have time? Do they have energy? Sometimes there are things we can readjust (TV time) but sometimes there just isn't (three hour football practice + homework + sleep). Find a genre/type of reading that fits the phase.

Maybe you need to meet with the teacher and ask for help - maybe it isn't 20 minutes every night, but a cumulative 80 minutes over the week - which gives some flexibility with a busy schedule.

Sometimes it is just making sure there's a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment