Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Reading Connects Us to Each Other

This morning I wept as I was reading the Austin Statesman. It was an article about a woman who began a bakery in memorium to her daughter, who had passed away from leukemia at the age of 5 eight years ago. The story was about Paying it Forward, giving rather than receiving...her bakery donates their meals/goods to families who have hospitalized members, and others with needs. She does it because it was her daughters' example - even at the youngest of age, who lived that life, despite her state. She'd give stuffed animals she herself had been given to others who she saw in the hospital who didn't have as much - just to make them smile.

Anyway, that story and another about a running group whose leader (who has won countless marathons) escaped a torturous time in Burundi, Africa and now runs/works to provide clean water for his native country through charity runs got me thinking.

If I hadn't picked up the paper and read it - I WOULDN'T KNOW.

I wouldn't be the same person, affected by other's lives outside of my very, very small daily world.

Reading those made me want to help, to be better...to be aware, to appreciate.

Reading...made me better.

That's what we need to tell our kids. It brings the world to us...connects us - even skype can't do that if we don't know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment