Thursday, August 11, 2011

For the Animal Lovers

I am about halfway through a book for all those who love animals, especially dogs. It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain. I am reading the adult release, but there is another version, suitable for younger readers. It does deal with life, love, and death, but through the eyes and mind of Enzo, a dog.

I am really enjoying it, but it's strange for me in that (SPOILER ALERT) one of the main characters deals with a brain tumor, something I have personally experienced and lived through. There were times in the book that my eyes flooded with tears because I COULD RELATE. It was real for me.

Having that common experience will definitely make this book more memorable for me than others. Knowing that, I keep that in mind with my students and my kids. Sometimes relating to book content is validating, captivating, and makes it a better read, however, sometimes it may be too painful, too close for comfort too.

Think about your child's resistance to books carefully. Maybe they don't relate, or maybe they relate too much to read it right now.

I don't think I would have wanted to read this book a few months, or even a few years after my surgery...I needed time for healing. It still touches me and stirs my soul, but I can look at it with the perspective of a memory.
















No comments:

Post a Comment