Saturday, August 20, 2011

Enlist a Team

This week my in-laws have been in town helping with my kids as I get through Staff meetings and prepping my room. They have a great time, and I know they are in great hands.

My mother in law was a teacher, so she has the same belief that reading is crucial. She's made sure the boys read every day. And guess what? They didn't fight her about it.

That got me thinking. So often our kids don't want to do the things we ask them to do, but when others ask them, it's no problem.

Brainstorm all the people in your kids' lives: teachers, coaches, relatives, friends...and get them to help encourage reading. A simple statement from them is sometimes all it takes. No elaborate reward system, no huge plan...if they respect that person, they will listen.

Don't try to do it all on your own...we are in this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment