Friday, August 5, 2011

Finished it in One Day

It isn't often that I have a whole day without kids to shuttle, errands to run, work to get done...

But today it was hot, Nick is at preschool, and the boys are playing with friends - I had a day to do whatever I wanted.

I started a book this morning on the bike trainer (love the Kindle for this - sweatproof!) and finished it just now. It's called The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. It was a GREAT read. It's a young adult book - but it tackles one of the most difficult of subjects, the Holocaust.

I was on the edge of my seat. The narrator, Bruno, is a 9 year old. The story unfolds through his naive eyes...that's all I want to say.

I highly recommend it for kids - probably mature Third Grade and up. I know a few kids in my class that would enjoy it.  I will say, however, that an adult will want to discuss it along the way to help them understand the facts behind it, if the reader isn't familiar with what happened.

It's hard to write about it without giving it away. It's a tremendous book about Fences...those real from that horrific time, and those imaginary that continue to this day.

John Boyne has also written another book that I have downloaded already, Noah Barleywater Runs Away.  Guess I will get started right away!

Remember that, once your reader has found a treasure, it will be that much easier to get them into the next. They will ask immediately if the author has written any others...

No comments:

Post a Comment