Thursday, April 8, 2010

About Fast Paced Life

Those of you who know me personally know that I am a fast paced person. I usually am juggling the four kids, a full time job, plus one or two other things (like teaching spin at the gym or consulting). Don't forget - those four kids bring a plethora of things -- homework, afterschool activities -- and Heaven help me if someone gets sick...

Anyway, this Fall's move to Austin slowed me down. WAY DOWN.

I am now at home with Nick, hanging out. Yes, there are lots of up sides to it, and I have yelled a lot less, but it has been an adjustment - mentally, emotionally, and physically.

I was reminded of this when I was reading the paper this morning. There is a local author and mom who published a book about living simpler...letting kids have free play, getting away from so much technology, just letting life be lived in its natural rhythm.

Hmm...that got me thinking. I have a hard time with that. I love to be busy. It is just my nature. Currently, I am applying for a job in the fall. I miss it.

But, I thought, what is it that I can do that helps me maintain some of that simpler, lower stress, more natural pace?

My answer to myself was reading. With a book. Not with a Kindle, or an IPad...a real, paper smelling, page by turned page...book.

The author of this book reminds us that we ourselves grew up with so much less technology, and had so many more real life (rather than virtual) experiences and social interactions...we forget that our children, with all the perks of being a tech-saavy generation, is missing that.

Maybe that's why I resist getting a Kindle - and read my paper at the breakfast table rather than online...I need to connect with it.

Think about that.

I am doing a lot of thinking about that in terms of Nick. They have all those "leap readers" or what have yous to help little ones start reading. I never got them for the twins or matt...I don't think I will start. I think the first thing I got for them was a Leapster, when they were 5 and were well underway reading "real" books.

So today I want you to look at simplifying -- by picking up a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment