Friday, March 26, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon...and other bits

First off, I wanted to let you know that my little friend who I read with on Wednesdays did something amazing...

Remember how I told you I was going to get a notebook for her and she could decorate it next time she came? Well, she was so excited about the notebook idea that she and her mom already went out and bought her an adorable composition book that she picked out herself.

Why do I mention that? It's really not that big a deal.

OH YES IT IS!!!

It means she's wanting to commit to books, knowing what she's read, watching trends in her reading, writing responses...and most of all, it means she wants to KEEP GOING and GROWING.

That's what it means.

Yes, I know kids are like us...you know, we get all excited and get new things, or promise ourselves every January that we are going to start doing something...and then the excitement wanes...the treadmill gathers dust, the gym gets your "donation" every month, and your closets clutter again.

Am I worried she will lose steam? No. But I am also committed to giving her fresh ideas to challenge her. Some she will enjoy, some will be tougher, some will take more time than others...but we will keep going.

I am so proud of her. And, as I told her when she brought her notebook over to show me last night, "You are such a great reader. You are so in charge!"

Ok, as for the How to Train Your Dragon movie. I read the review in the Austin Statesman this morning and they liked it...a lot. They have a weekend column on raising kids...in Austin and otherwise, and tomorrow she is going to give her slant on it.

Here's my deal. I haven't read past the second chapter. I meant to...really. Before the movie came out. But I haven't. So today I am going to plop my butt on my bike trainer and read. I will, for sure, read it before I take the boys to see it, so I better get busy.

It's Friday, my friends...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment