Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Did I really miss again?????

So it goes - busy, busy life. It's ok, I was just caught up in preparing for my principal observation that I had today (it went fine, by the way).

I have been working with a specific few students this past week, working on issues other than academics. More on the behavior front...let's just leave it at that.

I have tried lots of rewards/classroom management techniques, and they have worked (somewhat)...but I have noticed one thing that ALWAYS works...

sitting one on one, either reading or talking about books.

Like I have said so many times before, books are a connecting force...

When we are sitting together, or even when I am reading aloud to the whole class, there is peace. There is calm, there is focus.

Not that there is chaos in my classroom - I run a tight ship, and engaging in rigorous, enticing learning is what I strive to provide (and I think I do pretty well)...but there are times in our teaching careers where we are blessed with students who need to have their energies channelled in the right direction.

Maybe your child struggles with attention issues, or focusing...trust me. Find some engaging books. Something that makes them think. Read to them...a lot. You will see a big difference in demeanor.

No comments:

Post a Comment