Monday, November 1, 2010

Visit your school book fair...

This week is my school's book fair - a perfect opportunity to buy a special treasure for your child (or your child's teacher) :) 

My classroom previewed and made wish lists last Friday. What I really enjoyed was that they were picky! They weren't just goggling the posters and do dads, nor were they just picking out any old book.

They knew what they liked, what would be a "just right" book, and what authors/genres really interested them.

They have come a LONG way in just 9 weeks!

Many of them picked out books that are parts of series they are involved in - Rick Riordan, JK Rowling, Secrets of Droon, Big Nate, and of course the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid due out in a week. But others looked for their favorite authors - Sharon Creech, Patricia MacLauglin, Cynthia Rylant, Dan Gutman, Gordon Korman.

Not one had to ask me, "Is this ok? What book should I pick?" and not one, "I can't find anything, can you help me?"

That's huge. INDEPENDENT, SELF MOTIVATED readers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment