Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Another thought about environment

I wanted to add that each child, each person, has a unique "reading personality" and not everyone is going to have the same "reading fingerprint."

Some will like a little noise, some need quiet. Some can lie down (I can't - sleep is tooooo scarce), while some like to sit. Boys in particular need movement. They swivel in chairs, tap feet, etc. Don't think they aren't concentrating...they are just different. They have a unique energy.

What I do think, however, is that there is a consistency to where and when. I have noticed that body rhythms tend to move best when there is routine. Find the best time, place, etc...and then make it a routine, something they can count on.

Teachers do this all the time in the classroom, and the kids crave it. They can predict it, and get into it.

One of the hardest things for kids is inconsistency. If one day it's one thing and the next it's another, they can't get a rhythm.

This may take some time. I figure that it is going to take me a few weeks to get Ben and Sam settled. We will try some different places, and times for a few days at a time to see what works.

Remember, books must be "just right" too - even the best environment will not help if the books they have are too hard or too easy!

By the way, Welcome to my new Kiker followers if you are reading this today - my boys are loving their school home and I look forward to spending some time with you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment