Thursday, June 21, 2012

How to Help Them Transition

Yesterday I was talking with a friend about her child's reading. She expressed a common habit that kids get into...reading the same (most of the time too easy for them) series over and over. They don't want to branch out. Sometimes it's fear, sometimes it's just the effort.

I suggested that she get a book a little above where the current series is, and look for one with more plot or character development. Instead of having the child read it alone, they should read it together and talk about the deeper themes and the thinking it's producing.

Sometimes kids just need that modeling to take the next step. I know that many kids have tried new books/authors simply because of a read aloud we've done together. I have talked them through how I am thinking about it and what images are coming to my head and supported them in doing the same thing. It bridges them to the next step. They are coached to the next level.

It's a great way to introduce them to new genres too. I actually became more of a fan of fantasy after I read a few to them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment