Friday, July 29, 2011

Ahhh Summertime

I can't believe how long it has been since I have blogged. It's one of those things...if I don't make it a daily habit, it falls through the cracks.

I will say, however, I have enjoyed reading this summer. With the boys, and by myself. It's actually the first time in MANY years that I devoured novels, just for me.

My assistant principal sent out a booklist of her favorite reads, and...well, as we know, good readers take recommendations from other good readers...

I read five books in a week.

My faves...Glass Castle, The Help, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Outliers, Room, When You Reach Me, and two professional books: Teaching With the Brain in Mind 2nd edition and Re-inventing Project Based Learning.

Some were Kindle read, some actual books...and I realized something about that. It's important to be able to use electronics sometimes in that way, and sometimes I would rather have the book. While on the airplane or on my bike trainer, the easiest thing was to pull out the iPad or Kindle. When wanting to take notes or comfy up with a cup of coffee on the couch, I preferred a book.

I also notice that there are times of day and places where I prefer to read.

Why do I make note of that? Well, those of you who have read this blog before know that the best way to be able to help your kids learn to read is to know YOURSELF as a reader. You can share with them your strengths and struggles...it makes them realize that reading is a process and that no one ever completely arrives to a place where you are done growing as a reader.

My goal now? Well, besides fit in the rest of the books on my list (The Art of Racing in the Rain, Imperfect Birds, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Noah Barleywater Runs Away, and The Book Thief)
I want to get back on this blog.

It may look different this year. I am embarking on a project at school that I will be sharing with you along the way...more about that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment